23 – Palazzo Cini

23 – Palazzo Cini, the home of industrialist Vittorio Cini was converted in 1984; into a museum, housing his private art collection. 

Vittorio Cini, was involved in the major financial and manufacturing enterprises; that drove the development of 20th-century Italy. He was also, one of the great 20th-century Italian art collectors.

Most notable in this Museum – House, are his collection of Tuscan paintings and sculptures, that date back to the 13th century.

He was an incredibly wealthy man and collector; which is evident through the elegant rugs, china, decadent glass pieces and bronze statues, displayed inside the palace.


 

Palazzo Loredan Cini (Venice)

Palazzo Cini Venice - Interior

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • The museum is located inside Cini’s original palazzo residence
  • 7 rooms of art and decor 
  • Cost: €10,00 (adults), €8,00 (reduced)
  • Suggested duration: 1 – 2 hours
  • Vaporetto stops: Salute or Accademia

 

INTRODUCTION

The Palazzo Loredan Cini, is located on the corner, where the Rio San Vio, joins the Grand Canal, in the district of Dorsoduro. Its narrow aspect adjoins the Palazzo Balbi Valier.

The palace was formed from the amalgamation of the former Palazzo Foscari-Loredan, with the adjacent Palazzo Grimani. The narrow facade on the Grand Canal has no entrance, but the longer facade on the Rio, has a single water door and is connected to the adjacent campo by a bridge.

 

23 – Palazzo Cini – Gallery

The Palazzo Cini Gallery, is a refined museum-house created in 1984. It contains a significant part of the historic art collection of a leading 20th-century Italian collector: the industrialist and philanthropist Vittorio Cini (1885 – 1977).

The Gallery is laid out on two floors:

  • the first recreates the charm of the patron’s residence, evidencing cultivated collecting in Venice.
  • the second hosts exhibitions and cultural events.

The Gallery was established through a donation by Yana Cini Alliata di Montereale. In 1981, she presented the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, with part of her father’s collections and some rooms in the Palazzo Grimani, acquired by Cini with the adjacent Palazzo Foscari, in 1919 and 1920.

The donation consists of 13 to 16th-century Tuscan paintings, sculptures and art objects: such as the outstanding group of Renaissance enamelled copper items, a group of Gothic ivories and the Cozzi porcelain table service; found in the Neo-Rococo oval room, designed by Tomaso Buzzi.

In 1989, an extraordinary collection of Ferrarese Renaissance paintings, was added to the initial collection; courtesy of the Ylda Cini Guglielmi di Vulci heirs.

In 2015, her heirs further enhanced the Gallery with a new group of art works and furnishings; also part of the original Vittorio Cini collection.

 

There are seven rooms and an explanation of the contents of each, can be found on the website page at bottom of the post.

 

> THE RENAISSANCE ROOM

> THE FERRARESE ROOM

> TOMASO BUZZI’S OVAL STAIR

> THE ANTECHAMBER (OR SEDAN CHAIR ROOM)

> THE TUSCAN PRIMITIVES ROOM (MAESTÀ ROOM)

> THE OVAL DINING ROOM

>THE POLYPTYCH ROOM

 

 

 

HISTORY 

The palace was formed from the amalgamation of the former Palazzo Foscari-Loredan, with the adjacent Palazzo Grimani.

 >>The Foscari Palace (also called Loredan Palace); was built on a site belonging to the Giustinian family, in the 14th-15th centuries. In 1428, it was purchased by the Republic for 6,500 ducats and transferred to the Marquis of Mantua.

A decade later, it was confiscated and given to Francesco Sforza.

Nearly a decade later, it was again appropriated and sold by public auction to Doge Francesco Foscari. Under Elisabetta Venier Foscari, it was rebuilt in the mid-1560’s.

In 1797, the palace was still occupied by descendants of the family, Nicolo Foscari and his brothers.

During the Austrian occupation it was used as a barrack for the Croatian soldiers.

In the 19 – 20th century, it served as the “Scuola Superiore di Commercio” and later as the residence of Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.

 

>>The Grimani Palace, had been originally built between 1564 to 1567; for Vincenzo, of the Santa Maria Formosa branch of the Grimani family.

 

  • In 1920, the industrial tycoon Vittorio Cini, after his marriage to the actress Lyda Borelli; acquired the Palazzo Foscari on the Grand Canal. He merged it with the adjoining palace.
  • In 1934, under the fascist rule of Mussolini, Cini was named Senator of Italy. Despite the upheavals of World War II, Cini remained a major collector of Italian art.
  • In 1949, after Vittorio’s son Giorgio died, he created the Giorgio Cini Foundation in 1951; based on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore. This foundation was engaged in the protection, patronage and research; regarding the cultural and artistic legacy of Venice.
  • From 1956 to 1958, the architect Tommaso Buzzi was commissioned to redesign the interior of the palace.
  • Vittorio Cini, died in 1977.
  • In 1984, his daughter, Yana Cini Alliata di Montereale, donated his collections to the Palazzo Cini Gallery, under the ownership by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
  • In 1989, the collection of artworks, including porcelain and ivories, was increased when the Cini Guglielmi di Vulci heirs permanently loaned a large collection of Ferrarese paintings.
  • In 2015, her heirs further enhanced the Gallery with a new group of art works and furnishings; also, part of the original Vittorio Cini collection.

 

Palazzo Cini – Campo San Vio – Dorsoduro 864 – Venice

Official Website of Palazzo Cini   (contents on permanent display in each of seven rooms are described)

Email: palazzocini@cini.it

Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 12am to 8pm (ticket office closes at 7:15 pm)

Entrance: €10,00 (adults), €8,00 (reduced)

Buying your ticket ONLINE or book your visit at  visite.palazzocini@cini.it  is the only way to avoid queues and delays. N.B. For safety reasons, the entrances can be limited.

 

To widen your experience and enjoyment before visiting, please see my comprehensive and illustrated posts, linked below:

 Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore   (Includes a section on the Cini Foundation)

Dorsoduro – District and Attractions

Palazzo Dario – A Strange Curse

Scuola Grande della Carita  (Now the Academy Gallery)


TOP 25 MUSEUMS. Select your museum and click on the link.

Check further below for the 11 museums in the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia (MUVE).

1 – Palazzo Ducale (The Doge’s Palace)

2 – Peggy Guggenheim Collection

3 – Ca’ Pesaro

4 – The Correr Museum

5 – Galleria dell’Accademia

6 – Scuola Grande di San Rocco

7 – San Servolo Insane Asylum Museum

8 – Palazzo Grassi (Francois Pinault Collection)

9 – Museo Fortuny

10 – Leonardo da Vinci Museum

11 – Fondazione Querini Stampalia

12 – Museo del Vetro

13 – Museo del Merletto

14 – Punta della Dogana

15 – Casa di Carlo Goldoni

16 – Museo di Storia Naturale di Venezia 

17 – Museo Palazzo Mocenigo

18 – Museo Storico Navale di Venezia

19 – Museo della Musica

20 – Fondazione Emilio e Annabianca Vedova

21 – Museo di San Marco

22 – Museo Ebraico di Venezia

23 – Palazzo Cini (not linked)

24 – Museo Provinciale di Torcello

25 – Museo Archeologico Nazionale


 

23 – Palazzo Cini    23 – Palazzo Cini    23 – Palazzo Cini    23 – Palazzo Cini

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This