19 – Museo della Musica
19 – Museo della Musica, offers a tribute to “liuteria”; the Italian art and craft of stringed instrument-making; that has contributed to the greatness of Italian culture.
It is housed in the San Maurizio church in the San Marco district, closer to the Academy bridge than Piazza San Marco. Artemio Versari’s collection, “Antonio Vivaldi and His Time”; recounts the golden epoch of stringed instrument making in 18th century Venice. Learn about the “schools” of Italian musical instrument making, the differences in design and construction, the manner in which they were made and the evolution of musical style.
The Museo della Musica, is a veritable jewel; that can take the visitor on a journey into the history of music.
- Small music museum in a deconsecrated church
- Development of stringed instrument making
- Free Entry
- Suggested duration: 1 hour
- Vaporetto stop: Santa Maria del Giglio or Accademia (cross the bridge and about 5 minutes walk east), or 15 minutes walk west from Piazza San Marco
MUSEO DELLA MUSICA
The Music Museum, is an exhibition dedicated to one of the artistic events that have made Italian culture great: violin making. Venice was the workshop of great “luthiers or instrument makers”
Its craftsmen were excellent in the experimentation and production of musical instruments, that were increasingly perfected in order to optimise the sound quality; demanded by musicians in those times.
The Museo della Musica, recalls the eighteenth century, which represents the golden age of violin making and the pristine craftsmanship is clearly evident through the violins, violas, and cellos that are on display. It is the century, that sees the affirmation of the “Cremonese School“, which grew in such a way, as to become the absolute reference point for the construction of stringed instruments and remains so today. The museum includes splendid examples of the different regional schools.
The exhibition “Antonio Vivaldi and his time“, housed in the splendid Church of San Maurizio, aims to revive the sound of musical instruments, such as the “Amati”, the “Guadagnini” and the “Goffrillers”: true works of art, in an environment of great beauty and of history.
The collection, is a veritable jewel; that can take the visitor on a journey into the history of music.
An up-to-date and rich CD-Bookshop, allows visitors to get to know the best of world music productions. Guided tours are available.
19 – Museo della Musica – The Church of San Maurizio
A Candian (Cretian) family called Sanudo, is credited for the construction of the Church of San Maurizio and Lazzaro.
Originally, the facade faced the Rio del Santissimo and had a churchyard at the foot of the bridge; which still today leads to the Campo di Santo Stefano. The bell tower stood on the corner between the campo and the calle.
From the ninth century until the end of the sixteenth century, there is no chronicled reference to the architectural structure. However, it is certain that it underwent a rebuilding in about 1105; following a fire.
At the end of the fifteenth century, the church still had a basilica structure, with three naves of clear Byzantine imprint; the result of the intervention carried out early in the twelfth century.
After so many centuries of silence, it is documented that in the late 16th century, the Church of San Maurizio was completely rebuilt and consecrated. The new building underwent an entire rotation; now facing into the campo, as seen today.
Prior to this reconstruction, the ancient bell tower had been demolished, to allow the construction of the grandiose Palazzo Bellavite; whose facade was thought to be frescoed by Paolo Veronese. Dionisio Bellavite, a wealthy merchant, had in fact obtained the concession of the area and the permission to remove the bell tower, in exchange for the payment of an annual tax for the benefit of the Church of San Maurizio; a tax that Bellavite still continued to pay in 1564.
In 1806, the church was again demolished and rebuilt according to the project and design of Antonio Diedo and Giovan Antonio Selva. Selva was responsible for the wonderful “Teatro La Fenice”, located nearby.
Consecrated in 1828, it has a Greek cross plan with a central dome and blind hemispherical domes on the sides. The general design seems to be inspired by the Sansovinian Church of San Geminiano.
CONCERT NIGHTS WITH “INTERPRETI VENEZIANA” IN THE BEAUTIFUL CHURCH OF SAN VIDAL
In Venice, there are many events in the evening for people who like classical music. Some orchestras frequently organise concerts inside of churches, or ancient “Scuole Grandi“ (Great Schools).
These special places offer to the audience the same eighteen century atmosphere created by Antonio Vivaldi’s music; also called “The Red Priest“, because of his red hair. Other remarkable masters of Baroque music in Venice were: Baldassarre Galuppi called “Il Buranello“, Tommaso Albinoni and Benedetto Marcello.
The internationally acclaimed ensemble “Interpreti Veneziani”, since 1987 have performed seasons, consisting of more than 200 concerts at San Vidal Church and at the Scuola Grande di San Rocco as well. Their concerts attract in Venice alone, an audience of around 60,000 people from all around the world.
The talent of the members of this group, their expertise as soloists and ensemble musicians and the high level of their performances, have earned the “Interpreti”; an enthusiastic welcome from both audiences and critics. The group plays music by Vivaldi, Mozart, Albinoni, Corelli and Pergolesi.
THE CHURCH OF SAN VIDAL
The church is now deconsecrated and is used as a concert venue. It is situated towards the end of the main route from Piazza San Marco, to the Campo Santo Stefano; just before the approach to the Academy bridge.
Above right: San Vidal on Horseback, main altarpiece by Carpaccio
History. A church at the site was erected in the year 1084 by Doge Vitale Falier. This church was destroyed in 1105 by a major city fire.
Reconstruction continued for centuries and was finished by the 16th century. But poor foundations led to a renewed reconstruction in the 17th century, using designs by Antonio Gaspari.
It was rebuilt in 1696, to honour the former Doge Francesco Morosini. On the facade (1734–37), designed by Andrea Tirali, are sculpted portraits of the Doge Carlo Contarini and his wife Paolina.
The church is deconsecrated and the chamber music group Interpreti Veneziani; performs regular concerts at this venue.
Interior. The main altarpiece is “San Vidal on Horseback with eight saints” by Vittore Carpaccio (1514); in the painting, four of the saints flank the saint on a white horse, while four are in the balconies above.
The altar, is flanked by two marble statues of the allegories of “Faith and Fortitude” by Antonio Gai. The interior, also houses an “Immaculate Conception” by Sebastiano Ricci, a “Crucifixion and Apostles” by the female painter Giulia Lama, a “Trinity with Saints Peter and Francesco di Paola” by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini and a “Guardian Angel with St Anthony of Padua and St Cajetan of Thiene”, by Giovanni Battista Piazzetta.
Although there is no gravestone, the famous composer Baldassarre Galuppi, is buried here. His funeral was held in the nearby church of Santo Stefano.
Restoration. San Vidal has a 29m (94ft) church bell tower, or campanile. It was a part of the original 1084 design and was rebuilt, as was the entire church, after a fire in 1105. It was restored again in 1347 and again in 1680. Evidence of these redesigns can be seen in the inclusion of a 12th Century cornice piece and a stone relief of St Gregory; installed above a side door. Additional restoration work, was done in 1902 and 2000.
LINKS ( internal – external)
Museo della Musica – Chiesa San Maurizio, S. Marco 2603 – 30124 Venezia
E-mail: email@example.com Tel: +39 041 2411840
Entrance: Free of charge Visiting hours: Every day from 10 am to 1.00 pm and from 3.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Services: Museum Shop, Guided tours (on demand, the service may be purchased up to 72 hours in advance)
Collezione M° Artemio Versari
Esperto e collezionista di strumenti musicali antichi e moderni
Via G. Massarenti 219/4 – 40138 Bologna
Tel. +39 051 532337 – Cell. +39 339 6157667
TOP 25 MUSEUMS. Select your museum and click on the link below:
19 – Museo della Musica (not linked)
To widen your experience and enjoyment before visiting, please see my comprehensive and illustrated posts, linked below:
19 – Museo della Musica 19 – Museo della Musica 19 – Museo della Musica 19 – Museo della Musica